Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Going to work.


I am ready for work now; I have had enough to ensure that I do not hurt anyone, the tamed predator.   Working night shifts at a hospital at least has it perks full of blood and excitement.  I prefer to walk in the night leaving my apartment, heels knocking against the sidewalk as I walk.  The street lights pulling back as I approach, bats welcoming me, and the occasional car passing by.. People tell me not to walk, you should be afraid they say – they are all so frightened and it disgusts me; I am more likely to get hit by a car driving than attacked walking if only I could be so lucky.  It is only an hour walk after all and there were far worse things in the wilderness and I met many of them.  The one that changed me, its eyes spoke of existence lasting centuries and without fear.  It taught me, you could say it was my father and it told me of a time when mankind lived in a world of uncertainty.  Father, let’s return there and usher in a new age where people do not need CNN; they need only open the door to experience life.  Listening to the sounds of the night; the crickets, bats, my footsteps, the rain; I feel so alive.  A cat approaches so I bend down to meet him - he climbs to my lap and kisses me and then continue on my way.  I arrive at the hospital uneventful as usual and the receptionist fails to greet me looking away instead.  This always helps cheer me up as I head for the locker room.

No comments:

Post a Comment